Feb 9, 2014

I was always more of a Bob Murphy fan myself.

I can’t say I’m really upset by this week’s new regarding the passing of Ralph Kiner. Even though I am very much a Mets fan, I never really loved what Kiner bought to broadcasting the game.

Bob Murphy?

Bob Murphy I miss more than you could know! The warm tones of Murphy’s voice along with little touches like ‘the happy recap’ made him one of those very much beloved voices I have listened to through the years:
Murphy’s broadcasts were known for his optimistic outlook. He would rarely be critical of players and would always strive to emphasize the positive. According to Gary Thorne, who was his partner in the Mets radio booth from 1985 to 1988, Murphy felt that, “the game was to be enjoyed and he sought out the joy in that day’s game to bring to the fans.”

Murphy, despite his long association with the Mets, never openly rooted for the team from the booth. Listeners knew that he was happier when the Mets won, as evidenced by his mention of a “happy recap” after a Mets win and a “recap” after a Mets loss, but he never referred to the Mets as “we” and, reflecting his love of the game, he would sound equally excited when a good play was made against the Mets as he would when the Mets made a similar play.
Kiner though does very much have a place in New York baseball lore and I can see that he very well could have given Phil Rizzuto (another personal favorite) a run for his money...


But along with his unparalleled in-game storytelling ability, Kiner’s broadcasting career will also be remembered for his numerous unintentionally comical malaprops. Among them:
His most famous line, which was not a malaprop, regarded Philadelphia Phillies’ defensively gifted center fielder, Garry Maddox in which he said:

No comments: